Sunday, May 14, 2017

Office Bushcraft

A plethora of raw materials!
IMG_6410

My office and laboratory are situated in two trailer house...excuse me, "modular facilities" at the far edge of the chemical plant where I work. Outside my window is the loading dock where truck after truck filled with 55 gallon drums of chemicals come in and leave all day long. Everything is cement, steel pipes, forklifts, and chemical tanks...not exactly the sort of place where one would think "bushcraft".

But my modular facility butts up against the plant's security fence and on the other side of this fence is small ditch then the road. The ditch disappears into a cement culvert under the loading dock and pops back open about 90' away. Surprisingly, this muddy ditch in the middle of manmade hell is loaded with all sorts of wild edible plants....but it's also filled with minnows, frogs, and crawfish. I have no idea how the minnows got there. The nearest pond or stream is 1/2 mile away. Yet, there the minnows frolic. I like to watch them on my lunch break.

After watching them for a week the idea of seeing if I could trap a took hold of my mind. The bush crafting internet is filled with all sorts of fish traps made of all sorts of materials, both wild and manmade. They all boiled down to some sort of wide tube with a funnel-shaped entrance. Fish swim in but they can't easily find their way out again. The concept seems easy and thanks to my coworker's addiction to Diet Dr. Pepper and my own occasional spurge on non-Yaupon holly tea, our recycling bins had just the raw materials needed to make a minnow trap!

I get no advertising kickback for this picture. :-(
IMG_6411

Once I had the two bottles all it took ways a few minutes with my little pocket knife, some tape, a binder clip, and a length of paracord. To bait this crazy creation I sacrificed a bit of instant oatmeal from my daily breakfast.

The top of the Dr. Pepper was cut off and inserted into the bottom of the ice bottle to make the funnel into a container. Small holes were cut in the tea bottle to let out bits of food as bait. Paracord was attached to the trap so it could be placed and retrieved easier. The binder clip allowed me to attach the paracord to the security fence.
IMG_6292

I still had 45 minutes left of my lunch break when I placed the trap in the ditch.
IMG_6294

I figured it'd be best to just place it there and then walk away rather than watch it. I went back to my desk to read but after 30 minutes I just had to check it. Pulling it up I was thrilled to see not only three large minnows but also to two small and two medium sized crawfish!! Woohoo!! I brought my catch into the office to show my coworkers and they were amazed... Apparently the previous R&D manager didn't use trash to catch things from the nasty ditch out back.

The catch transferred to a beaker.
IMG_6297

Alas, lunch was rapidly coming to an end and I had just enough time to return the creatures back to the drainage ditch they call home. I can't wait to take this trap on my next adventure to try and catch some bait...or additional protein for my meals!

Adventure! Excitement! Bushofficecraft!

No comments: