Saturday, December 24, 2016

Shortening a Rome Pie Iron

Pie Iron

If you've never experienced the deliciousness of food cooked with a pie iron you are missing out on one of the main reasons for having a campfire! These cast iron cookers fit together tightly to crimp/seal the edges of whatever bread or dough you've put in them turning whatever sandwich you put into it into some sort of Hostess fruit pie or stromboli type snack! They are a mainstay for family car-camping trips but they're too long for easy carry in a backpack. This ticks me off because I love cooking with them. But hey, I have a Dremel tool. ;-)

Standard Rome pie irons are nice but too long. I'm assuming this is for liability reasons.
Untitled

Luckily, the Dremel tool cutting wheels sliced right through the stainless steel handle rods. I choose to use the square pie iron for this so I could use a single side as a skillet in the woods, too.
I stuffed up the handles with coarse-grit sandpaper to give the epoxy a place to grip when I reattached to wood grips.
Untitled

Removing to wood grips from the cut handles required a lot of brute force. Lock the steel rod in a vice then twist the wooden grip off. You can see here the "wings" put onto the rod to hold the grips on. Twist and pull the grips so you don't crack them.
Pie Iron

I love JB Weld Extreme Heat repair paste for "gluing" together anything that'll be exposed to heat. It's good up to 2400 degrees F which is plenty for a campfire.
Untitled

Smear the past on the rods, slide the rods back into the grips, then shape the paste over the tops of the grips if you want it to look nice. The paste takes 24 hours to set up properly.

Finished product next to a regular-length pie iron. After this picture I ended up sawing off three inches of the wood grips to make it even shorter.
Untitled

Testing it out as a skillet to fry an egg. Season the cast iron as directed and you'll end up with a wonderful, non-stick surface!
Pie Iron

When out in the woods I like to use the Bisquick "just add water" mixes. I and the water to the pouch, stir it with a stick until it reaches the proper dough consistency, then squeeze it into the pie iron.
Pie Iron

Before cooking.
Pie Iron

Cooking on the coals of a small fire.
Pie Iron

End result using a 3-Cheese Bisquick packet.
Pie Iron

I also like making pizza-thingies with it.
Pie Iron

Pie Iron

There's a number of cookbooks and on-line recipes for use in these pie irons. Another favorite of mine involves Nutella and mini-marashamallows. I'd show you a picture but I ate it.

Adventure! Excitement! Food on Sticks!

1 comment:

GemTree said...

Love it! Thank you! Elizabeth Rocketshipgirl