Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Spoke

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a Texas Parks and Wildlife biologist in charge of helping ranchers optimize the plants on their land for livestock and wild animals such as deer, turkeys, and other game. He had heard me talk back in the spring and thought the ranchers might be interested in learning about the wild plants they themselves could eat. Cool!

So Saturday I found myself making the two-hour drive up to Dubina, Texas to talk about calorie-rich seeds, nuts, and tubers to 124 ranchers and their families. In return they treated me to a good old-fashioned country church potluck supper, a tour of their beautiful painted church, and future access to some of the best feral hog hunting grounds around. Sweet deal my friends. Sweet deal indeed!

The Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius.
ChurchEx1

Inside the church.
ChurchInt1

Icons. The church I attended growing up in Minnesota had these same statues!
ChurchIn2

Tree. The branches were propped up with iron pipe.
MeetingTree1

Inside the +100 year old meeting hall.
Hall1

I spoke for 30 minutes on the physiological effects of starvation followed by talking about the wild plants they can harvest to stave off those affliction. Apparently the presentation was a big hit as many of the ranchers came up afterwards and thanked me profusely and asked for more information. Texas Parks and Wildlife wants me to give this talk to other rancher associations which is totally cool.

Adventure! Excitement! Public Speaking FTW!

2 comments:

Izzy G. said...

Gettin' famous. When they finally give you a science show I can be like Beaker and you can be Dr. Bunson Honeydew.

Anonymous said...

OH! I thought the third picture WAS FROM our church back home!!

~Buffy