Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Supermoonweekend

Nowhere.
Nowhere
One of these days my little electronic navigator is just going to throw itself out my truck's window in despair. I can't help that I love it when it starts shrieking "Please return to nearest road!"

Truck
Red Rider likes this place but my GPS does not.

Those of you with a tv, internet connection, or friends probably heard that on Saturday, March 19th we had a Super Moon. Due to the rare occurrence of the full moon falling at the same time as it perigee (translation: closest point to Earth in it's orbit) the full moon looked 14% bigger and 30% brighter than normal.

supermoon
This is what it looked like from my non-GPS-friendly location.

shadow
It was bright enough to cast a shadow. Cool!

So what was I out doing for this Supermoon? Pig hunting!!

Field
See the pigs?

Nope, neither did we. :-(

Cattle
See the pigs? Nope, those are cattle.

breakfast
Luckily we brought our own pigs in easy to carry packages. Bacon and eggs cooked over a campfire...is there anything better?

Enchiladas
Well, yes actually. Dutch oven chicken enchiladas with extra jalapeno peppers washed down with ice cold cans of Miller High Life.

DutchOven
Enchiladas cooking in the Dutch oven. I love my Dutch oven.

Since bull thistles are in season I introduced my hunting buddies to its wonderful taste. They are used to me suddenly veering off the trial to harvest some wild edible plant which they then gobble up with gusto. They haven't been willing to try any edible bugs, though.

Thistle1
Hey guys, lunch!!

So three days and two nights were spent out in the woods gorging ourselves on fantastic campfire-cooked foods, searching for pigs, and releasing our inner cavemen. This was about as far-removed from last weeks Maserati adventure as possible but even higher ranked on Merriwether's Scale of Awesomeness!

Adventure! Excitement! Hoppe's #9!

2 comments:

Izzy G. said...

That's a good name for a band. SUPER MOON WEEKEND.

iPad Application Development said...

Pretty impressed by the caliber of intelligence on the webpage. There are a bunch of great resources here. I know I will check out this place often.