Sunday, January 09, 2011

Project Updates (with many run-on sentances).

As neato as my earth buckets things are, a trip to King Dollar, Nothing over $1.09! made them even better. They have now been turned into individual mini-greenhouses after being topped with $1.09 cake containers. Considering the weather reports indicate a very good chance of a record-setting cold front hitting us this week, adding these tops was probably a very good idea. The first bucket currently has 2" tall sprouts of salsify growing in it. That's a wild edible I've been after for a while. Thankfully, Brian the Rogue Alchemist sent me a bunch of salsify seeds so in a few more months I'll be able to add this plant to my wild edibles blog.

Covers
12" cake holder tops fit perfectly over the buckets.

Meanwhile, my worm bin seems to be doing well. Last night I discovered two worms copulating, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Sorry, no pictures of it as I'm pretty sure they were both underage. However, if you are into that sort of thing here is a good link.

And finally, Misseswether found me an old pressure cooker at a resale shop yesterday! It's not quite big enough to use for canning anything more than pint jars, but I have hopes it will cut down on the amount of burn marks in the kitchen from my greenbriar tuber experiments. Hey, anyone want to trade a wild edible plant class for a 22 quart pressure canner?

Adventure! Excitement! Stuff!

5 comments:

Izzy G. said...

Household objects used for other than their intended uses?! Cue the A-Team and MacGyver Theme mash-up!

Merriwether said...

What you can't see is the duct tape hinges holding the covers on the buckets. LOL!

J. said...

Just (as in, 3 hrs ago) bought an All-American 21-qt . . . want to borrow it when you have something big you want to process? Let me know.

Merriwether said...

Thanks J., I mainly want it to can chicken breasts when I find them on sale. This would be a spur-of-the-moment thing so I'd rather have my own canner.

Anonymous said...

I believe sir that we would like to speak to you... You asked if someone would like to trade classes, or gear....

I am the owner of Critical Survival LLC here in Houston Tx, I am extremely interested in speaking with you one on one...

I think you will like who we are and what we do!!!

give me a shout..

713-305-9994

my name is Mike

Thanks

and outstanding site...