Sunday, October 17, 2010

Nearly Famous

OutdoorStage
And my fame grows!

Saturday was the big community "Green Festival" at the Last Organic Outpost. They had all sorts of bands, vendors, speakers, and demonstrations. Last year's festival is when I first hooked up with the LOO. Miniwether had a facepainter paint a clam on her face. Sadly, the Wethergirls weren't able to attend this festival as I was one of the workers and also a guest speaker there, which meant arriving a little after 7am to set up and staying late to clean up afterwards. Sidenote: why can't Earth-loving hippies understand the purpose of garbage cans?! My back is still sore from all the trash I picked up off the ground after the event. Dudes, there were big recycling bins everywhere yet these greens would just leave their half-drank water bottles, food wrappers, and cigarette butts wherever they happened to sit!! WTH?!!

But I digress.

Festival
Entrance to the farm.

There were a lot of vendors there selling things like pink tools for women, home-use solar panels, herbal teas, and lots of other foods, crafts, and assorted other "green" stuff.

booths

Te

There was one booth that people seemed to avoid, though. People would glance at it's sign then quickly turn away... Apparently the booth's message was one that peace-loving hippy types didn't want to hear...

ZSBooth
Zombie Squad, because sometimes it's up to you to make it through.

Yeah, surprisingly people who make their own tofu from scratch don't want to know about emergency preparedness, first aid, water purification, what to keep in a BOB, or even learn about likely threats to the Houston area. Oh well.

Most of my time during the actual festival was spent manning the Zombie Squad booth. However, I did give a talk about the philosophy behind the Food Everywhere movement which was well received by the three people in the audience. No-Impact Man was speaking at the same time as me on the other side of the grounds and stole my crowd.

Me
Me talking. I still miss my old hat.

I did manage to wander around some and that was when I discovered I'm nearly famous! Throughout the day people would come up to me point and yell "Merriwether!! You're Merriwether!! I love your blog/class/hat!!" That was totally cool and a huge ego stroke. Several important people were at the event and they tracked me down to discuss teaching classes to their organizations. I don't want to jinx anything so I'm not going to drop names...but hopefully if things line up the way I'm trying to get them maybe someday I'll be able to trade my lab coat and safety goggles in for hiking boots and a hori hori knife. That would be AWESOME!!!

Adventure! Excitement! Fame!

2 comments:

Brad said...

I'm really sorry I missed all the fun.

Did manage to score free tickets to the RenFest though.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have been there!!!
Wildman800