Sunday, October 10, 2010

Biting Things.

Okay, so two out of three isn't bad. The first part of three was getting stuff ready at the LOO. I got a lot of work done out at the Last Organic Outpost in preparation for their GreenFest next week. Trash is picked up, weeds are pulled out, new beds have been made and planted. It's going to be a great time. I'll be giving two talks about Food Everwhere and also leading three wild edibles tours.

LOO1
In a week these will be filled with yummy food!

LOO2
Hopefully these will be gone.

The next planned event of the weekend started out well but then turned bad then turned...well, I'll let y'all decide how it ended up. The plan was for me and the Wethergirls to sleep out in the backyard under the stars. The girls have heard me talk many times of my camping adventures without a tent and they wanted to try it. A cold front had blown in and nighttime temperatures were in the mid 50's. It seemed like the perfect time to throw down a tarp and our sleeping bags for a night watching the stars.

Camp2
Trust me, stars are up there.

Miniwether and Mambowether actually managed to talk Misseswether into joining us, which was rather shocking. It's not the sort of thing she usually would even contemplate.

Camp1
All tucked in.

Misseswether read aloud to us for a while and then we closed our eyes and went to sleep. And by "we" I mean "me". The girls were thrashing around and complaining about things biting them. Nothing was biting me so I told them just to go to sleep. Well, nothing was biting me but the three of them ended up covered in bug bites. Miniwether woke me up begging to go inside. In the light of my flashlight I could see her face was covered in lumps.

Camp3
Everyone back in their regular beds.

Misseswether and the Wethergirls quickly fell asleep in the safety of their own beds while I had to haul everything back into the house. By the time that was done I was no longer sleepy so I cracked a beer, filled a bowl with pretzels and flipped on the TV.

Camp4
The only thing on was He-Man.

Sunday came and it was time for part three of my weekend plans: fishing! Mini and Mambo had been wanting to go fishing again and with the cool weather they could handle standing out in the sun. Sidenote: Mambo actually wanted to go shooting but that wasn't an option today. Luckily she considers fishing to be almost as much fun as shooting and didn't argue with me about going.

Worms
Cool weather means the worms don't dry up as quickly, and give several hours of wriggly fun.

Fish1
Mambowether caught the first fish while I was still getting Miniwether's rod ready. She ended up catching four fish in less then ten minutes and then decided to play with a stick instead.

Fish2
Miniwether caught 6-8 fish before running off to play with LoneStarC's son. They found some mud and much hilarity ensued.

Snake
We also saw this banded watersnake. Miniwether attempted to catch it several times but I wouldn't let her actually go into the water after the snake. I'm a good dad.

Eventually it was time to go home and hose off the girls. Turns out Burroughs Park mud is incredibly tenacious and much scrubbing was required to get them clean enough to be let into the house.

Adventure! Excitement! Apparently Merriwether Tastes Bad!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like y'all had a really great time!!!! These are the days they will cherish and pass onto their children.
Wildman800