Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pretty in Pink

Misseswether is the Keeper of the Family Calender, a multi-level creation that lives on our fridge. Only she is allowed to enter stuff on this schedule and it is rare that I can get something added at short notice. She however, has learned that sometimes it's best NOT to put certain things on it but rather surprise me with them.

For instance, this:
DDD

It turns out our homeschooling Pickwick group has been planning this Daughter-Daddy Dance for quite some time and the girls have been learning dances and proper etiquette for it. Misseswether knew such an event was not high on my list even though tucked in the closet was my elegant Pierre Cardin tuxedo from our days long ago as competition ballroom dancers a decade ago. So a week ago I learn I'll be spending Sunday night taking Mini and Mambo to a formal dance.

Joy.

Of course I spent the day teaching about edible wild plants for five hours in 94F heat with 99% humidity but luckily I'm built for hot weather (lots of surface area, not much internal volume, basically I'm a giant rabbit's ear). Come home, shower, shave and decide what the heck, let's see if the tux still fits.

DaddyDaughters
Yeah, it still fits!

Sidenote: Men, do not suggest that since twelve years later you still fit in your wedding suit that your wife should still be able to fit in her wedding dress. Any changes in her body in that time is due to the addition of muscle. Strong, vicious muscles capable of inflicting brutal pain to anyone foolish enough to say otherwise.

I couldn't find my bowtie, so on a whim I decided to wear a black silk Chinese tunic for the shirt. I'm bummed the pictures didn't turn out because quite honestly I was the most handsome, sharpest looking man there. That is a very rare occurrence!

After going through her wardrobe Sunday morning Misseswether decided none of her dresses were right for that evening's dance. So she did what any insane women would do in such a situation: She decided to make herself a dress for the ball!

Sewing
Hey, I think I'll make a beautiful dress from scratch in six hours!

DancingGirls
The lady is talented. That's a dang fine dress! Sidenote: No singing mice or birds assisted her in the sewing of this dress.

Readers of this blog may recognize the girls' dresses. Misseswether had originally made them for Easter mass, then tweaked them some for this dance.
BeautifulBeautiful

Beautiful2
Oh, Prêt-à-Porter? Darling, ours were custom made!

Adjusted
One little adjustment and then the music started.

I don't remember what the first dance was. The men were on the outside in a circle and the girls were inside. We'd dance a bit with each girl before they moved on to the next, thereby setting the pattern for their future lives.

Dance
A brief moment, then she was gone. Probably a lesson in that...

After that came a Virgina Reel which was a lot of fun though somewhat confusing.

Woo hoo!

Miniwether's favorite dance was the Waltz.
Turn
Underarm turns are so much fun when you are six...or forty-two!

Officially the dance was for 1st graders and older though younger siblings were invited to watch. Still, it was pretty easy to sneak Mambowether out on to the dance floor for another waltz.

Mambo
Much easier on the back this way.

DancingGirls2
She liked the Macarena with mommy best, though. Sidenote: I don't do the Macarena but Misseswether does it beautifully!

The dance didn't end until 10pm, well past the girls' bedtimes. Mambowether was asleep before we were out of the parking lot, Miniwether managed to make it to the first stoplight before she succumbed to that dark peace. She was awakened by the sound of the garage door but Mambo ended up needing to be carried to bed.

Soon after getting home wife and daughters were fast asleep. I'm was (and still am) battling insomnia, but at least I had new, wonderful images to fill my brain with as the minutes then hours ticked by. I knew my girls love their ballet classes but until last night it never occurred to me that they'd like dancing with daddy even more. As big as their grins are up on the stage, they were even bigger as I swept them around the room, them in their beautiful pink dresses, me in my tux...

You know, I need to tell Misseswether she doesn't have to hide the next dance from me.

Adventure! Excitement! Daughters!

3 comments:

Brita said...

Beautiful, on so many different levels.

Jen said...

You are a wonderful daddy... and DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME to boot.

XXOXO,

J

Mike_H said...

That was great to see. Looks like everyone had a blast!