Sunday, February 28, 2010

Learn then teach.

Class1
Learning edible plants at Jesse H. Jones Park.

So, this Saturday I joined Wildcat to take a class in edible wild plants rather than teaching about wild edibles. It was a nice break and with the knowledge gained I've made a bunch of updates to my wild edibles site.

Newly Added Plants: Corn Salad, Goat's Beard, Lyreleaf Sage, Elaeagnus

Improved Plants: Waxleaf Myrtle/Bayberry, Dandelion, Chickweed, Dewberry, Blackberry, Mustang Grapes, Muscadine Grapes, Lichens

Adventure! Excitement! Learning!

5 comments:

vu/34mp4 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kittysmith said...

Sorry I've missed your classes so far, love your blog. I'll send a photo, but do you know what the bright green, hairy, sticky, crawling plants are that spring up around Houston this time of year? They attach to my pants & socks and have spiny leaves sort of like an Asparagus Fern. Does this plant ring a bell? My project this year is to identify all native plants in my yard!
Thanks!

Merriwether said...

Hi kittysmith! The plant you are asking about sounds like cleavers. They are an excellent source of vitamin C but you need to boil them for 10 minutes before eat. If you don't they cling to your throat which is REALLY unpleasant!

http://houstonwildedibles.blogspot.com/2008/08/cleaver.html

Anonymous said...

Yay! Photos & descriptions confirm your ID. It apparently has many medicinal uses, too. It's fun getting to know my backyard up close and personal. Thank you so much and hope to attend one of your classes this year.
Chris

Christina Rodriguez said...

I always figured that if a teacher thinks he's done learning, then he ain't fit to teach.