Monday, January 25, 2010

Merriwether IRL!

Meatspace still has some advantages to a carbon-based girl.
-Overheard

Hey everybody, if you ever dreamed of meeting me in person you'll have a bunch of chances coming up...plus maybe you should get some help, maybe talk to a shrink or something. I mean, yeah occasionally I can be funny and on a really good week you might actually learn something from me (this week's tip, a glass beaker filled with 275 F silicone oil looks exactly the same as a beaker filled with room-temperature water, but feels COMPLETELY different), but really, would you actually drive into Houston to meet me?

Well, the Houston Arboretum hopes so, as does the Last Organic Outpost, and Sedition Bookstore! I'll be teach classes in wild edibles, urban foraging, PAW farming, and emergency preparedness at these places in the next two months.

First up is the Last Organic Outpost. I'll be at their Emile St. location teaching urban foraging on both Saturday, January 30th and Sunday, January 31st from 10am-4pm both days as part of their big community outreach event/Houston Food Security program. These classes are free but a donation to the Last Organic Outpost are greatly appreciated!

On February 7th at the same Emile St. location (Last Organic Outpost), I and my fellow Zombie Squad members will be doing some PAW (Post Apocalyptic World) farming. Yep, we are going to turn a urban wasteland of trash, burned cars, and zombies into thriving urban farmland. This will be good practice for when we are frantically throwing up barricades against the zombie hoards while trying to rebuild civilization. The work party takes place on Sunday, Feb. 7th from 10am-4pm. After that I'm going to a private Superbowl party thrown by the first girl I ever kissed. I must have been a great kisser as she followed me to Houston like twenty years later. Misseswether likes her, which is a good thing.

Have you ever wondered where anarchists hold their organizational meetings in Houston? (Get it? That's really funny if you understand the joke.) They gather at Sedition Bookstore on Richmond Ave. and on Sunday, Feb. 14th I'll be leading an urban foraging class starting there. The time hasn't been set yet (clocks are tools of the oppressive white culture?) but once a time has been set I'll put the info up on this page and my wild edibles blog. This class is free but I'll be passing around my tip-hat afterwards.

Then on Saturday, February 20th, 1-5pm I'll be teaching edible wild plants at the Houston Arboretum. Registration for this very popular Arboretum fund raiser fills up fast so sign up right away. It is the most extensive foraging class you can get in Houston, covering wild edibles available in urban, forest, wetland, and prairie environments. It also covers toxic plants that look edible, if you are into that sort of thing (only about four are deadly, the rest will just make you spend the night on the toilet).

Finally (unless I'm forgetting something), on Saturday, March 20th I'll be teaching a course in Practical Emergency Preparedness at the Houston Arboretum. Topics will include:
* Threat identification: what should you realistically worry about
* Basic preparation: food, water, first aid kit, checklists
* Evacuation: what to always have pre-packed, what not to forget
* Long power outages: lighting, cooking, hygiene, food, safety, communications
* Car kits: what you should always have in your car
* "It takes a village...": why you should help your neighbors prepare too
* Sources to get more information
Learn how to deal with hurricanes, chemical spills, house fires, zombie invasions, and other threats likely to hit the Houston area! The Arboretum does charge for this class, but it's worth it (says the teacher...)

Adventure! Excitement! Education!

4 comments:

Izzy G. said...

You should totally reference me at these meetings. I will give you .50 cents. The value of a whole tooth.

Jackie said...

Way to go! Keep on getting famous so I can say "I knew you when".

Christina E. Rodriguez said...

Sometimes I really wish I lived in Texas...

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy. I am always jealous of the early springs that people get in other parts of the country. Heck this time of year it would be nice to just see the soil.