Sunday, September 13, 2009

Aftermaths can be fun!

As long as you are adequately prepared...

So I know some people who told some people about the big, week-long block party my street had after hurricane Ike. Turns out one of those people told is a writer for the magazine Popular Mechanics. Turns out this writer was preparing an article on The Rules of Survival for the October, 2009 issue of PM magazine. Turns out this particular issue is devoted to self-reliance, survival, and general preparedness.

PopularMechanics
Here's what it looks like.

Photo 25
I'm on pages 71-72 as an example of survival rule #4: Outlast the Aftermath!

Yep, I am now the mainstream model of how to be prepared! Pretty scary, huh?

Okay, now that I'm famous you'll all look up to me and hang on my every word, right? So here is my word: PREPARE

Prepare for what, you are probably asking. And to that question I respond, "How the heck should I know?!"

You know what threats are in your life (flooding, job loss, car accident, hurricane, earthquake, zombies...). Sit down and make a list of these threats and rank them in order of likelihood.

Here's mine:
1. accident while adventuring
2. trapped in car or at work due to flooding
3. car accident (me or other)
4. job loss
5. train derailment carrying hazardous materials
6. power outage
7. hurricane
8. house fire
9. terrorist attack
10. buying Misseswether wrong gift on birthday/Christmas/Valentine's Day/Mother's Day

Okay, now that you have a handle on your threats you can start preparing for them.

"But won't the government come in an rescue me?!" you might be thinking.

To that I answer, "Welcome home, Gilligan! It must feel great to finally be rescued from that island."

Seriously, the local, state, and federal governments are all asking people to have 3 to 7 days worth of water, medicines, food, and other emergency gear on hand.



Being prepared does not mean being some Burt Gummer clone with a bomb shelter filled guns, MREs, and bibles.
It means having a few jugs of water on hand (1 gal. per person per day).
It means next time you are at the store you pick up two jars of peanut butter instead of one, along with a few extra cans of other food you already eat. It means having a small radio, flashlights, batteries, and a first aid kit ready to go. It means having all your friend's and family's phone numbers written down along with copies of your insurance policies, prescriptions, and kid's immunization records in a folder you can grab and run in case you have to leave your home in an emergency.

Once you have those things in place you are already way ahead of the game. I'll admit taking charge of one's life isn't for everyone. A lot of people prefer to stand around clueless and lost in an emergency but from what I know of y'all that's not your style.

Adventure! Excitement! Grover!

5 comments:

J-Ro said...

Congrats! I knew it was only a matter of time before you came to the attention of the authorities... expect your name to be added to yet another "Obama-list" any day now...

Or maybe not. Somehow you manage to look slightly derranged in these self-portraits...

Still loving the goatee tho!!

XOXOXX,
Jen

Jackie said...

Wow! That is neat! Keep up the good works!

Brita said...

Yeah! My husband saw the article and said, Hey I know that guy! We have the magazine at home. Great job!

Christina E. Rodriguez said...

And it's Sesame Street for the win!

I'm planning on buying several copies of that issue so I can plaster my bedroom walls with your article! :)

TOJJ said...

That's so exciting - you're famous! :) I'll have to buy a copy of that one to see what they said about the famous Merriwether...