Tuesday, August 25, 2009

And now the pictures...

UPDATE: the lab results are back, Zog is dead! There was no sign that it had spread, the doc was able to remove all of it, no further treatment is needed. Woo hoo!

ToBeRemoved
Cut here.

Turns out removing a 3cm ball of tissue requires a 2" long by 3/4" wide by 3/4" deep incision. And that requires 14 incredibly painful shots of Novocaine into the bottom of my foot.

Spread
Slice, probe, then slice some more.

Did I mention I am too tall to fit on the operating table? There wasn't enough room between my foot and the wall so the doc had me sit in an office chair with my foot up on the table.

Ouch
Zog is (hopefully) gone!

Finished
This hurts more than you can imagine.

We won't know if Zog is really gone or not for almost a week. Due to the extreme aggressiveness of this type of melanoma the doc sent it out for expert appraisal. So, I'm still stuck waiting to learn if this is the end of Zog or if I have a deeper hell awaiting.

Now if you'll pardon me, I'm going to go pass out.

Adventure! Excitement! Two weeks of crutches!

10 comments:

Brita said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I can't believe the doctor allowed you to take pictures. He must be a fan of your blog!

Bramble said...

Yup, have had this sort of surgery...a very definite OUCH! But didn't think telling you ahead of time would do anything for ya. Elevation helps, yowling helps more.

Hope ZOG is GONE!
The Scat Family

black bettee said...

stumbled across your journal googling the comedy tragedy masks, of all things. go figure. have enjoyed following a bit...good luck with your Zogectomy.... :oD

Windrider said...

Holy Moley!!!

Jeeze Merri, I vanish for a few months and all the sudden you're getting surgery..

Show off!! Sheesh!

Only kidding friend, really. Get better.. I'm sending a message skyward on your behalf ol' buddy.

As someone who's had foot cuttings-on I know what you are going through right now. Take it WAY easy and don't over do it. It'll be tender for quite a while yet.

keep it at the level of your heart for the next few weeks, lest your big toe ( and arch ) take up rather painful Morse code.

Windrider

Wildcat said...

wow! that's a doosy! hope you have a speedy recovery.

btw, we are heading down to the creek for a little hike. you wanna go?

:-)
Wildcat

Merriwether said...

Thanks all, I really appreciate your sympathy. I'm on day #4 of laying in bed with my foot in the air and I'm about ready to go nuts! I'm not sure which is worse, the pain in my foot or the forced bed-rest! I friend dropped off a bag of dvd's but I can't handle watching more than one a day. In my mind I'm pacing back and forth like a jungle cat in a cage.

Oh well, it's still better than many alternatives.

Bramble said...

Try having one removed from your a@@ and having to lay funny so your butt is in the air for two weeks :D ....B-O-R-I-N-G and rather inconvenient for reading or computing ....couldn't do the DVD thing, either.

You'll make it....

Mike_H said...

Ouch! Hope you have a speedy recovery and everything turns up clear for you!

We'll cover you if the zobmies attack!

Christina E. Rodriguez said...

Glad to hear you're doing better, Mark! I'm relieved! Here's hoping you heal up fast and can get back to adventuring ASAP.

Jackie said...

Hope you're not hurting as much by now. You did a great service by publishing your experience: my son has finally made a dr's appt to have a "mole" checked out! Thank you! (My nagging didn't work but your pics did!)