Friday, December 19, 2008

I'm a man of simple tastes, but refined insanity.

"I'm a man of simple tastes. I like dynamite, gunpowder and gasoline."-The Joker.

Hi, Everybody. I'm Izzy G and I like to have adventures. It's been nearly 48 hours since my last adventure and I'm already craving more. But both poetic justice and tragic irony demand that I be here with you nice folks for sometime while I compose this article. How should I begin? Maybe like Charles Dickens? "I was born...I grew up..." No? Me either. Too much like a rant and I'm too prone to rants.

I'll go with the basics. I'll be 23 years old at the end of this month and for the first time in about ten years I am enjoying my life. I will spare the details, but after a near decade long illness I am on the mend and at the top of the proverbial mountain of life, standing at the edge looking down getting ready to jump. Parachute or no parachute, deal with what happens and enjoy myself along the way. Interestingly enough I live in the Parachute Capitol of the Lower 48.


 I call the Sunshine State of Florida my home and love it here. Growing up in Florida is a real pleasure for anyone who loves the outdoors. We have pristine beaches, tons of rivers and lakes as well as tropical to pine forest ecosystems to find adventure in. And to find giant prehistoric creatures in. New Smyrna Beach, where I spent all my summers, is the shark attack capitol of the World and Florida is home to the most alligator attacks yearly.

Since I was knee high to an Altoid Tin I've been in search of great adventure in Florida. Some of you will get the Altoids Tin reference. I hope...

Like most young men and women my age I was raised with the internet as a daily part of my life for the past 12-14 years. I was born to a family of intellectuals and since the early eighties we have had computers. In this case Macintosh/Apple Computers. We like to "Think Different" as Apple slogan goes. So it was only natural that by the hand of fate I would find my way to blogging. I've always been a story teller and a thinker. Often writing short stories as a younger man. It was natural that my love of writing, journalism and adventures would find it's way onto the internet.

Starting in Feb. of this year I started Timbuk2 & Tippy Canoe after a series of failed and rarely attended to blogs. It was largely inspired by this blog as well as a handful of others. It's evolved from a simple place to post about my adventures and enjoyment of bushcraft and survival skills to a full fledged adventure blog. I have reviews, how-to's and insight as well as a few articles of a more journalistic nature and more recently videos. It's really a multi-faceted blog in the same vein of Merriwethers.

I've known Merriwether for about three years now through the Equipped to Survive Foundations wonderful forums. Through his blog and talking to him I've learned a lot about him. The more I learn about him the more I find he and I are a lot a like. He's a good father to two daughters. I pity the poor gentlemen callers who come to pick them up for dates in the years to come. About a week ago he contacted me and asked me to fill in for him while he was on vacation this Christmas season. I'm never one to back down from a challenge.

I've got a handful of pieces of wisdom I'll be writing about. First Aid Kits for three different scenarios. How to prepare for a Hurricane. And lastly when it comes to bladeware what is best to carry in public and best outdoors. I'm sure I'll come up with a few more ideas in the mean time.

And in keeping with Merriwether's outgoing message and thinking of the famous Stan Lee I say...

Adventure, Excitement.....and.....well, I've got nothin' original to say.

-Izzy G.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Izzy,

BIG shoes you are stepping into...

I'm a 42 year old ex RAF Fighter Pilot Father of 4 and one of the only things I look forward to on th' 'tinternet is Merri's ramblings so don't screw up!

Over here in England (near London) we have a whole bunch of wet and miserable weather to contend with this time of year so go easy on the tropical spiders and give us some hypothermia remedies ;-)

I look forward to learning a little first aid as my kit is limited to elastoplasts and cable ties.

Sock it to us big boy...

Anonymous said...

In the UK the government has reached a silly place where you can carry a 14" cooking knife no problems but if you carry a hunting knife with a blade longer than 3.5" you are going down for a stretch.

What would you carry if 4" was too long?

Brad said...

Hi Izzy, I've been enjoying the heck out of Merriwther's journal and trying to catch up from the beginning (hoping to go on some adventures with him soon). Looking forward to reading your writings as well now. Maybe a chance to meet next time I'm in Florida.