Monday, September 08, 2008

Grokking the Cold Front

If sending your wife and kids to church without you so you can disappear into the borderlands for a few blessed, cool hours after a long hot summer then I don't want to be right. Saturday morning I was caught unaware by the first cool front of "Fall". This resulted in abandonment of all previous plans and replacing them with a day in the park with the girls. Eight hours of running, playing in the sand, climbing, drinking cold root beers, and generally enjoying life. It was a great time.

So of course Sunday I ditched them. Luckily Misseswether understands my wild needs. She took over Mini and Mambo after I finished making them stacks of chocolate chip pancakes. I grabbed my kit and headed off to Spring Creek.

springcreek1.jpg
Why go anywhere else?

The plan was to take just grok a cool morning in the woods and maybe poke around some for edible plants for my edible plants blog. One sees a lot when they are just meandering and I was rewarded with five plants I had overlooked or not known were edible in the past.

springcreek3.jpg
Grokking for the gators.

There is no better time to grok Texas nature than the first cool front of Fall. Oh, for those of you who don't know what grokking is:
Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed—to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science—and it means as little to us (because of our Earthly assumptions) as color means to a blind man.
-Robert Heinlein in Stranger in a Strange Land.

Cardinal Flower Lobelia.jpg
Cardinal Flower (Lobelia)
Not edible.

It's easy for me to lose myself in the woods and personally, I think more people should try it. yet as much as I love being there I know I have responsibilities elsewhere. I am not some mindless animal living without bonds to others. I am a human with human connections and I don't have a problem with that, unlike say Christopher McCandless aka Alexander Supertramp.

McCandless/Supertramp is the guy the book and movie "Into the Wild" was about. It's the real-life story of a boy who didn't want to be a man. He wanted just to live free without stuff, money, or rules. He died alone in the Alaskan wilderness after surviving for 112 days. Some people think he's a hero and idolize him. Sorry, but that isn't my style. Want to impress me? Get a job, work hard, be a great family man, a great friend to others... That's way tougher than living alone in the woods.

Wow, this post didn't go where I expected.

Peace be with you.

No comments: