Monday, April 14, 2008

Reaching Apogee

So, here I am.

Suprisingly deep in that undiscovered country.

Only, it's not so undiscovered anymore.

Basic math coupled with family history suggests I'm almost halfway through it.

Wow, it's amazing where one can end up in the blink of an eye.

In my case, it's standing on a mountaintop named "40".

The view behind me is pretty amazing, but the view ahead is covered in fog. I catch the occasional glimpses through the mist, but it's hard to tell if what I see is real or just cloud shapes...

Wow, 40 trips 'round the sun...it doesn't seem possible. I should still be that five-year old boy who decided to walk to grampa's farm in a hailstorm without telling anyone...

I'm not complaining, I'm just a little shocked. 40 is what my dad should be, not me.

Certianly not my ex-girlfriends!

Sidenote: Missewther is much younger than me and is still in love with me. That rocks!

So, how does an adventurer celebrate turning forty?

With a house packed with friends, laughter, the clink of glasses, and lots of hugs.

It should be a great time.

And afterwards?

Then I get to play with my new toy.

Firefly5.jpg
I call her Firefly

Adventure! Excitement! Birthday!

11 comments:

kmat said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 'o wise one!

kmat

whatever said...

Happy Birthday. Can't wait for my Kayak to come.

gizmojumpjet said...

What happened to Seeker's Fate?

. said...

"Wise one"? Methinks you've been hitting the gin again. :-)

Kayaks rock (and then almost tip over, which Miniwether thought was both great and scary).

I still have Seeker's Fate. She'll be used when the whole family wants to go for a paddle or times when just me and someone else want to paddle somewhere.

We found it's easier for Miniwether to ride in the back cargo area of Firefly. Back there she doesn't keep getting hit in the head with my paddle.

Mambowether likes sitting in Firefly on dry land but started screaming every time We tried putting her in it while on the water. I'm not sure what's up with that...

Anonymous said...

Firefly? Love it, loved the show, loved the movie! I once wanted my own version of Seekers Fate, but when I tried the kayak I was hooked. We now have two!

I thought turning 40 was easier that the 20 high school reunion - missed you.

~Buff

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday!! *hugs* from afar.

M

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, happy Birhtday, Happy Birhtday to you! (Think of the song in your head, you know I can't sing my way out of a paper bag!)
-Brita

Windrider said...

It certainly is strange contemplating 40 isn't it? I turn 38 this year. Most of the time I ingnore age but I guess it was inevitable that sonner or later it would make me pause and take stock of it all.

I like the kayak! I wish I had that thing when I used to raft the Guadalupe above canyon lake! That would have been a super way to travel.

Happy Birthday!

Izzy G. said...

After seeing a 18 foot alligator sunning on a bank where I had planned on kayaking...I am rethinking even getting one. It could eat my kayak whole. 40. Wow. I'm still 22, thank the maker.

Carey said...

Happy Birthday to the coolest 40 year old we know!

Carey & Robert West

James, F.E. said...

Happy Birthday!

And cool name for your kayak.