Sunday, January 13, 2008

More Notes On the Woodgas Stove

A number of people have asked what cans I used to make my wood gasifier stove. Since I didn't do any adventuring this weekend I'll just write a more about the stove. Those of you who aren't interested in this will just have to hold on until next weekend when I get back from another trip hunting for fossils.

Oh, one other thing before I get started. Summer Glau was born to play a Terminator!

Okay, now that the important part of this post is out of the way, let's talk cans. Misseswether stopped letting me do the grocery shopping because I'd buy foods based on the shape of the can it came in (anchovy cans are great for buddy burners for use in Esbit stoves). I think all the Hi-C and baked beans I bought while optimizing this stove probably lead to he denying me grocery store privileges. She's a wonderful, patient woman but I guess sometimes I can push the envelop a bit..

Um, back to cans. The outer shell came from a 50oz Hi-C can. A number of different juices and soups come in 50oz steel cans. Look over in the "big can" section of the grocery store fo Campbell's soup or ketchup. You can have lots of fun with 50oz of ketchup, uh, though you might end up putting a bit of unnecessary stress on your marriage...

The next can you need is a 24oz can of Baked Beans for the chimney. You can also find chili in cans of this size. Both are good but the beans are significantly cheaper. This is something to keep in mind if your Dremel-tool skills are a little rusty.

The burner can started out life as a 150z can of asparaguus. I'd like to take a momment to put forth this warning about canned asparagus (though I actually doubt the warning will be necessary). Canned asparagus tastes/feels like ropes of slimey cat puke. I reccomend dicing it up and hiding it in some sort of heavy cream sauce and then "accidently" burn the sauce. "Oops, I'm sorry. I burned the asparagus cream sauce. How about we just order a pizza?" is a good line to use. Everyone would chose pizza over burned cream/cat puke sauce. Truely a win-win situation, just like they teach in "Seven Habits of Highly effective People". You look like a super cook for trying to make aspargus cream sauce, everyone actually gets pizza, and you now have the perfect can for the burner unit of a wod gasifier stove. It's thinking like this that got me to where I am today.

No! Not drunk behind a computer keyboard! I mean that whole scientist thingy I do.

Okay, the final can I used was the aluminum bottle of Fire Elements Energy Drink that I found in a garbage can next to a tennis court. Hey, think of it as recycling! The heat's it's been subjected to has purified it (I think). If you are squeemish about digging drinking bottles out of public garbage cans I guess you can buy a bottle of the stuff. Seems kind of a waste seeing as they are laying around all over the place.

So there you have it, everything you need to know to make a batch loaded inverted downdraft wood gasifier stove. A word of warning though, building camp stoves can become an addiction. It's quite possible that by this summer you'll be making excuses to buy the 7lb can of pickels or jumping up and down in joy at finding an old metal can used to keep tennis balls pressurized. Those cans rock! The size and shape of modern Pringles cans but able to withstand the blast of several grams worth of of blackpower which would send tennis balls (or the occasional potato) soaring of across the neighborhood. True, modern PVC potato guns are pretty impressive to most people nowdays, but they shoot what, maybe an 1" diameter slug of potato? Now imagine a whole Russet baking potato flying out of the end of three tennis ball cans wrapped in duct tape...

Uh, but I digress...

Adventure! Excitement! Cans!

1 comment:

David said...

Hi Blast - thanks for the update and can specs!

Dave