Sunday, April 08, 2007

Good Great Friday

Friday was a holiday at work, which also meant it was a holiday from being a family man for me. Instead of the eight hours of breathing acid fumes while trying fixing oil well I was free to wander in the woods.

walk5.jpg
Having only eight hours for the adventure, I chose to spend it along Spring Creek. Big suprise, huh?

walk3.jpg
But then, why would I want to go anywhere else?

walk2.jpg
No tracks but mine (and raccoons, possums, coyotes, deer, and perhaps a beaver).

walklunch.jpg
Lunch was a noodle bowl with boiled water taken straight from Spring Creek. After lunch I spent four hours carving a spoon from a peice of driftwood. Maybe I'll post a picture if/when I finish it.

walk6.jpg
A snack for later. Black berries should start ripening any day now, too.

walk7.jpg
An abandoned oil well. These are a bit scary as these hole are very deep. I suspect the bottom is covered in animal skeletons, but I have no desire to fish around in it to find out.

The scariest thing I found though was a secret shooting range. Someone had set up their own 500 yd range along a pipeline easement. They had a shooting bench set up and target boards set up a 15, 25, 50, 100, 250 & 500 yards away. The ground was littered with spent casings including some fresh looking 7mm. Also scattered along this easement were assorted hunting blinds. Note to self: avoid this area in the fall. That is assuming they limit their hunting to the fall...

So anyway, it was a nice, peaceful walk in the woods. For a few hours I left work and family behind which, considering what is coming up at work starting this week, was vital to my well-being. It's good to be in the woods.

Adventure! Excitment! Peace!

No comments: