Monday, April 16, 2007

Four C Trail

According to Clark and the other campers, a pack of coyotes chased a deer past our campsite Saturday night. The woods, pitch black outside the glow of the campfire, were filled with the scary sound of coyotes howling as they pursued the deer as it crashed through the underbrush. Considering the campfire talk centered on the tales of local Bigfoot sightings, the sounds of wild animals locked in bitter struggle was very unnerving.

On the plus side, it did somewhat drown out the sound of my snoring according to Clark.

Hey, I was tired. I'd just carried 40+ pounds of gear ten miles using a body only twelve months away from yearly prostrate exams!

Uh, sorry if that last bit was too much information...

Anyway, on with the story. Clark and I were hiking the Four C Trail through the Davy Crockett National Forest. The total trail is twenty miles (which we did) through a mix of deep woods, swamps (with boardwalks), and all-around beautiful scenery. Located less than 90 miles from Houston, this place is pretty awesome.

Because I'm not quite done celebrating my birthday yet (you did catch the earlier 12-month reference as a veiled hint to send me gifts, right?) I'm not going to go into details about the trip until later. For now you just have to look at the pretty pictures.

4c-clark2.jpg
Clark before a bridge.

4c-me.jpg
Me on another bridge.

4c-clark3.jpg
Did I ever mention that Clark is blind? These leads to some great practical jokes.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

4c-1.jpg
Pretty sights.

4c-camp1.jpg
Left: Clark, right: me at the Walnut Creek Campsite halfway along the trail.

4c-camp2.jpg
Morning at Walnut Creek campsite. There were three other hikers there who spent the night in the trail hut. There's a lot more to tell about those three, but you'll just have to wait.

4c-lake.jpg
Random body of water along the trail.

The area is filled with streams and ponds but the forest rangers STRONGLY suggest you bring in your own water. There's a lot of natural mercury in the ground around here so the water is generally considered unsafe to drink even if boiled. Filtering might work if you have an activated charcoal cartidge, but otherwise you'll just be killing off brain cells with each sip. On the plus side it's very easy to cache water along your path. The trail crosses six decent logging roads where you could stop and hide water. Considering most people will need a car at both ends of the trail it's very easy to set up such water caches.

Okay, sorry stop here, but I have another birthday gift waiting. I'll write more in a few days.

More Four C Trail links:
GORP's review
Boy Scout Troop 204's trip report (with great maps)

Adventure! Excitement! Exploration!

2 comments:

sam_acw said...

I've just found our blog and I intend to take a good look around. I was searching blogs for Nessmuk to see what was there!

Merriwether the Adventurer said...

Sam,

Nessmuk is one of my heroes!

Seeing as you are over in Poland, have you looked at http://www.bushcraftuk.com/ or their forums at http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/

I got a lot of my tips from them.