Sunday, March 04, 2007

Testing new stuff.

Ah wine, sweet giver of sleep. Half a bottle (hey, I'm a cheap date) and the trains, traffic sounds, street lights and landing aircraft fade away. My backyard leaves suburbia and retreats to the deep woods.

It was some very good wine.

Clark and I tested our new bivy sacks in my backyard Friday night. His was a sweet Eureka model. It was loaded with all sorts of features yet was incredibly lightweight. It'll be perfect for our backpacking trips. If I were half a foot shorter I'd be tempted to get one too.

Unfortunately, being a freak of nature I have to rely on alternate forms of cover. In this case my "tent/bivy sack/thingy is a 10'x10' square of ripstop, waterproof nylon sewn together for me by Missewether. I just wrap it around my sleeping bag and hang the head zone from a tree branch. It's fast to set up, light to carry and suprisingly warm in cold weather. The downside is it doesn't "breath" and so the inside became coated with condensation. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

And maybe some more of that wine...

BivySacks.jpg
Left: my tarp. Right: Clark's Eureka.

Adventure! Excitement! Pre-trip testing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you found me near spring creek. Mail me at forestmusic@gmail.com

Carl said...

Inquiring minds wanna know... how much does the bivy tarp weigh?

Merriwether the Adventurer said...

I'm not sure how much the bivy tarp weighs. Our bathroom scale won't read it but I'm guessing it's actually close to two pounds. The material is waterproofed ripstop nylon (silnylon) but at 10'x10' there's a lot of material. I could probably make it smaller but I like having the extra material.