Saturday, July 01, 2006

Another Week in the Valley.

"In reality, the Rio Grande Valley is not a valley, but a delta or floodplain. However, early promoters of this region felt that the term "Valley" sounded more inviting to tourists and northern investors than did "Delta."
-Wikipedia.org

Word came to my lab the next six oils would be in over the weekend, so Sunday morning we made the long drive back down to the US-Mexican borderlands. As usual, there were sights here one does not see elsewhere.
Buses

Of course, when we got there they only had three of the oils. The last three were supposed to show up on Tuesday.

Or maybe Wednesday.

Friday at the latest.

Unless they didn't get sent out until the following week...

I've been on the road for three out of the last five weeks and one of the weeks I was home Miniwether and Misseswether were in California. I'm tired of travelling. I'm sick of eating out every night. I'm tired of being just a "phone-daddy". I'm tired of putting myself to sleep via beer. I'm tired of everything being built out of cinderblocks with a thin layer of bright paint. I've been told there are pretty areas of Mexico, but that's not where the oil is.

Okay, it may seem like I really dislike Mexico...

Well, yeah. I do.

Let's see why:

The job site.
JobSite

Reynosa, Mexico.
Reynosa

On the way back to the USA peddlers give you one last chance to buy large ceramic turtles, roseries, paintings on velvet, or hard drugs.
BorderPeddlers

Best sight all week.
Border

Weirdly enough, the only pretty sights I saw in Mexico were the cemetaries.
Shrines

I'm home now and it's the 4th of July weekend. I have four days off and there is probably not another person in the neighborhood as happy to be an American as I am right now.

GOD BLESS THE USA!!!

3 comments:

Michael said...

Where do you eat when you're down there? Is there a commissary or cafeteria, or do you get to eat at taco trailers? Have you ever eaten at a taco trailer? The best tacos and best salsa I've ever gotten were at a taco trailer, but it was located in SW Houston...

Merriwether the Adventurer said...

There were two resturants in Camrgo. The food was edible, though even the Mexicans from other regions found to the food at these places to be pretty bland. Kidney fajitas are down-right nasty.

-Merriwether

Aram Salinas said...

Cool BlogSpot!!

I see that you pass by Reynosa, is not the nice city of Mexico, but is where I born he he he... by now I live in Monterrey... and is a really good place to visit.

Nice Pictures you take!!