Monday, March 20, 2006

I GPSing the borderlands electric...

I've told you how much I love my GPS unit. This thing is great as it allows me to pinpoint excatly where I get into trouble! I recently found a website that increases the "Whoa, cool!" factor up several orders of magnitude for GPS's. If you have a GPS unit you need to check this place out: GPSVisualizer.com.

This website allows you to upload your tracks and waypoint files and convert them into a number of different views. You can convert your files (any GPS manufacturer!) to files readable by any other GPS unit.

You can overlay your tracks on a topo map of the region.
3-16-06topo

You can overlay your track on an aerial photograph of the region.
3-16-06Aerial

You can overlay your track on a satellite photo.
3-16-06satellite

You can even plot your changes in your altitude!
3-16-06altitude
Uh, this last one is much more interesting when you actually DO change altitude...

You can also convert your track into a Google Earth .kml or .kmz file. Then you can see your track overlayed on Google Earth. This is really neat if you are a map freak!

Oh, and in other news, someone stole all the bamboo I cut last weekend. Grrr argh!

Adventure! Excitment! Electronics!

No comments: