Thursday, February 09, 2006

There's a cow on my back.

Hi, my name is Merriwether and I'm an addict.
You know how they say try it once and you'll be hooked for life?

It's true.

I was just crusing the internet when I found directions on how to make the stuff in my own kitchen. Being a chemist I thought, a) it be fun to try as an experiment and b) I'm smart enough not to get hooked.

Stupid, stupid chemist.

Two days later the batch was done. It looked kind of weird, all dark and crumbly with strange streaks. One hit and I was down for the count. Within an hour I had gone through 1/3 of a pound! This stuff sunk in it's devil's hoofs and rode me like a bovinian succubus.

Willingly.

Now I'm stockpiling London broil, Worcestershire Sauce, and assorted seasoning. Try and take some of my stash and you end up in the next batch!

My name is Merriwether and I'm a beef jerky junkie.

jerky

Addiction! Addiction! Addiction!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Oh, it breaks my heart...

Just like a truly fine steak, truly fine jerky needs to Worcestershire sauce, A1 sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, or any other kind of sauce or seasoning, save for the Beautiful Binary: Salt and Pepper. I'll go to my grave attesting to the simple fact that the best jerky recipe ever is that found in Patrick F. McManus' excellent book "Kid Camping from Aaaaiii! to Zip" It is rather simple, but since my copy of that fine volume is currently in a storage unit, I must paraphrase:

Make a brine and boil it. Cut (or have your butcher slice!) some lean meat into thin strips. Dunk the meat slice by slice into the boiling brine until it just turns gray. This will only take a moment or two. Lay the stips on a cookie sheet, liberally salt and pepper, then string on wires in the oven. Turn the oven on it's lowest setting, go to sleep, wake up 8 hours later to the best jerky you'll ever eat.

I'll endeavor to retrieve the text and post the recipe verbatim if you're interested. =)

Gizmojumpjet AKA Michael.