Thursday, September 22, 2005

Redemption.

Some time early this morning Rita made a sharp turn to the north. Predicted landfall is now to the east of us, which means we'll be on the "dry" side of the storm. We'll have strong winds out of the northeast to contend with, but luckily that's strongest, most window-free portion of our house. All in all, I think we'll be okay. The power may be out for a few days, but even that should be fixed quickly. All the power lines around here are underground, so they won't have to reattach lines to every house.

We are about five blocks from I-45, the main evacuation route heading north out of Houston. I couldn't sleep and so at 6am this morning I walked over there to check it out.

It looked like a scene from a horror/disaster movie. Eleven lanes of traffic were at a standstill in both directions as far as the eye could see. Lining the shoulders were dozens of cars that had ran out of gas, overheated, or broke down for some other reason.

It scared the living hell out of me.

I'm better now. The yard is clear, water is ready, food is ready, but I could really really really use a few sheet of plywood.

May the Force be with us.

Adventure! Excitement! 4 drops of bleach per gallon of water!

No comments: