Wednesday, September 28, 2005

One year, two days.

I just looked at the calender and realized I sold my motorcycle one year and two days ago. She was a 1998 Yamaha Virago Special with a 1100cc engine, black on black detailing, the acceleration of a rail gun, and the handling characteristics of a large, drunken cow. I miss her so much!
140-4051_IMG

I hadn't ridden her much after we got Miniwether. Misseswether quit her job to be a full-time mom and as the single breadwinner of the family we couldn't take the risk of me getting mangled, no matter how much fun was involved. :-(

My last big ride occurred back in February of 2004, right after we got word from China that we could adopt Miniwether. I figured it was going to be my last ride for a while so I wanted to make it a great one. It was 43F out when I left that morning on a 400 mile loop through East and Central Texas. After several hours of riding I pulled into a rest-stop frozen numb. As I huddled against the Virago's engine for warmth a guy stepped out of his mega RV and came over to talk. He couldn't understand why I'd want to ride around on something so (relatively) small. I just smiled and asked why he'd want to ride around in something so big. He laughed and took off. I stuck around for a while longer still sucking warmth out of my engine. Later I saw his RV on the road and blew by him with a wave and the speedometer needle pegged. I think he understood after that.

Alas, those days are past. Seeker's Fate is an awesome canoe, but I don't think she'd do 120 mph.

Adventure! Excitement! Unroasted-Bug-Filled Teeth!

No comments: