Monday, June 13, 2005

Well, that wasn't much fun...


I'm not sure what the touristy areas of Mexico is like, but Poza Rica is definately third-world. We're talking hovels, donkeys, armed military checkpoints, crooked police, unreliable power, and bad water.
PozaRica1 PozaRica2
On the plus side the people were absolutely fantastic (other than the cop who tried to shake us down). They found my attempts to comunicate with them very entertaining and laughed a great deal, but that was okay because I did get my beer cold (Negra Modelo, por favour.) and steak well done (Grande inferno, no rosa.). The broiled catus for breakfast was a must, though the fried pork rinds on English muffins were also interesting.


I wasn't able to make it out to the ruins. The company that I was visiting decided to change all the test requirements, so I was in the lab from 8:00am until 8:30pm every day trying to get through all the new tests. It was ugly. The lab had almost no equipment and they used Coke bottles for glasseware (beakers, flasks, graduated cylinders). The air was filled with benzene, acetone, and mosquitoes. When it'd get too bad someone would stick a fan in the window to draw some of the fumes out. Like I said before though, the people were wonderful and that saved the trip. After a few days you don't actually need to know the language to tell a joke.

No comments: